Wednesday, February 17, 2010

During Class

Today is Wednesday. February 7. 2010. I'm writing this blog during Bible class.
After reading my last blog, I was inspired to write again. I'm sitting right in the middle of the classroom, so everyone behind me can see what I'm doing. My keyboard is slightly sticky because I'm also eating raisins; obviously forgetting to use my brain in the process. You're not supposed to eat when you're using your laptop. oh well. I need the iron, I suppose.

For Bible, our 30 person class been split into 5 groups that have had 5 different topics to study and make a presentation on. Melissa just pulled out Milton, the Moose. She's playing with his magnetic hoofs (or whatever moose feet are called) because she wasn't able to do that during her presentation two days ago.

The group presenting right now has the Sabbath for a topic. Michael is teaching Jonathan Farquhar about the Sabbath, presuming that Jonathan is a Sunday keeper. Farquhar has his glasses pushed very far down his nose, in the true old-school style. I wonder why people push their glasses down when they're trying to imitate an ancient person. Obviously it's because ancient people wear their glasses way down, but why do they? Does it help them see better? Oh well, it's just one of those quandaries, I guess.

Melody, who is sitting beside me, just drew a DNA-type helix doodle on her paper. We glanced at each other and gave the mutual nod of approval. This nod seems to be quite popular with highschoolers at Fountainview. Everyone likes to be approved, I suppose. Maybe it's a substitute for texting. FA students can't have phones to text with, so their means of unspoken communication are reserved to body language. How sad. But maybe that's how it was meant to be in the first place....

Jonathan Sharley is talking now. He's wearing a blue and green polo over a green t-shirt of a slightly different verdure and a distinguished brown suit jacket thing, which is quite typical and an understatement of his usual style. When he talks, the tip of his nose wiggles up and down. He makes me smile. Jonathan Farquhar, his blond hair reminiscent of Einstein, is watching him intently, glasses still at half-mast. He also makes me smile.

It seems irreverent that I'm not paying attention to the presentation. I know they're doing a really good job, but I'm not really listening to what they're actually saying. Leighton just looked up at me but we didn't give the mutual nod of approval. It's not because we don't approve of whatever eachother was doing, it's probably because- wow...Farquhar is really funny. oh, he pushed his glassed back up. -and now they're back down again. lol. I'm really glad he could come this year.

I'm going to comment on how when Michael says the word "and", he says a "t" on the end of it. "Andt." He's Malaysian/German/and some others..so maybe its a language hazard. Even though English is his first language.
Anyways.
The group just brought Mrs. Corrigan in to share about how it was when she was a Catholic. She's a Very Cool person. Her husband, Mr. Corrigan, is our Most Excellent Math teacher.
The group finished with a yodel/cheer from Jonathan Sharley. Most every sound that comes out of him hearkens to a yodel.

The new group has Ryo, Robby, Vern, Ortiz, Douglas, and Joey. Visually, it's amusing when they're standing together. Vern is the only girl, and she's Very Short. Ortiz and Robby, who she's standing between, are Very Tall. Ryo is stretching because he's nervous. David O's chin wiggles and his eyebrows oscillate when he's nervous or embarrassed. Douglas doesn't ever act nervous, but his face is kind of dark. Robby shifts his weight back and forth when he's standing and gestures with his hands a lot. Ryo has his arms crossed and he's alternating between looking at the ceiling or the floor. Joey smiles slightly when he's nervous. Probably a habit from singing in Craig's choir. He also uses his hands to talk.
Ryo is funny when he talks because with his "lazy" asian accent, he drops the "s" on the ends of words. Also, he makes almost every noun singular and says verbs in the wrong tense. Sharon tends to do that too, even though English is her first language. Tragically, since she's my room mate, she's influenced my speech too. Sometimes I speak with a lazy asian accent! (secretly, I think it sounds kind of cute..not that I try to imitate it purposely)

Ortiz is Mexican. And he has a very strong accent. His "v's" sound like "f's", and his "s's" are very much like "s's" and not "z's". He can't really talk without his hands...but I think that embarrasses him sometimes, so he tends to put one arm behind him as a way to keep it silent. His fingers tend to bend backwards when he's really making a point. He's good at speaking up front and not showing nervousness when he knows exactly what he's saying.

Vern's eyes are half-closed, which probably means she's extremely bored. Or maybe its because her eyes are starting to hurt from having to look all the way up at Robby. OR, maybe it's because the violet/lavender colour of Robby's shirt is blinding her. It's starting to blind me, at any rate.

Well, this glob has to end now so we can go to strings practice. L8ER!

No comments:

Post a Comment